So, how long do pillows last? Sleeping on a comfortable pillow is one of the best ways to get a good night’s sleep. But how long do pads last before they need to be replaced? And what are the signs that it’s time for a new pillow?
In this blog post, I’ll answer those questions and provide some tips on prolonging the life of your pillows. So read on to learn more!
How Long Do Pillows Last?
Any pillow’s life span duration depends on how you maintain it, But the period that pillows do last is about 2 to 3 years. If you have been using cheap quality pillow materials, they may last for a short period.
How Long Do Down Pillows Last?
Down feathers can last for about 6 to 10 years if maintained well. The good thing about the down material is their fillings are very durable, and you can wash them as many times as you may want.
Their signs will tell if it’s time to get rid of your down pillows. If they dont spring back to their original shape when folded, that’s a clear sign they need to be replaced.
How Long Do Memory Foam Pillows Last?
The duration of a memory foam pillow lasts about 2 to 3 years. The unique benefit of a memory foam pillow, it provides your body with the best support and is naturally hypoallergenic.
Memory foam pillows also lose their shape if not maintained well. When you fluff your pillow every morning and clean it every 2 to 3 months, it will be fresh when used and prolong its life span.
How Long Do Tempurpedic Pillows Last?
The durability of the Tempurpedic pillow is on another level. The Tempurpedic pads provide great support, and it’s very comfortable in any sleeping position.
The materials used on Tempurpedic pillows are of high quality, and they can last for about 4 to 5 years, but the most high quality and most expensive Tempurpedic pillows last for 8 to 10 years.
How Long Do Feather Pillows Last?
A well-maintained feather pillow may last for 3 to 5 years. Feather pillows are very soft, and they are also comfortable.
Feather pillows need to be washed every 3 to 6 months.
If you sweat a lot at night, consider washing your pillow every three months.
How long should a pillow last before it needs to be replaced?
Its always recommended by most pillow experts that a pillow should last for about 1 to 2 years before being replaced.
After that period, your pads accumulate a lot of allergens from dust, mites, and molds, which may affect our sleep and be very dangerous to our health.
READ ALSO: How to Wash Feather Pillows
What are the signs that a pillow needs to be replaced?
These are the significant signs that your pillow needs to be replaced with new ones.
- If you have used your pillow for over two years, consider replacing it.
- If your pillow starts to look shapeless or has noticeable lumps.
- Waking up with neck, head, or shoulder pains.
- You have to replace it if your pillow is badly stained or smells.
- If you start experiencing acne on your face, consider buying new pillows.
- Waking up every morning when sneezing, consider buying a new pillow set.
What are some economical ways to replace old pillows with new ones?
If you have been using your pillow for more than 1 to 2 years, you need to replace it with a new one. Rather than tossing the old pillows out, most people may be asking themselves what else they can do with them.
There are some ways you can recycle your old pillows. Let’s get to know how you can recycle them.
If, in any case, you dont want to toss them, the first thing you need to do is to wash them.
- You can make a pet bed with them – if you love pets, dont throw your old pillows. Make the pads their comfortable place to sleep on. Rather than spending a lot of money on pet beds, your old pillow will solve that problem.
- Use your old pillow as flow cushions – at times, we tend to get family friends visiting. Maybe all your sofas are entirely used. Your old cushions can make large floor cushions and be used.
- You can use them for outdoor seating
- Also, using them in the garden can work well
- Donate to some organization or recycle them to recycling centers
How can you make sure your pillows stay in good condition for as long as possible?
It’s always essential to maintain and take care of our pillows correctly. When you retain them, you will be prolonging their life. There are very different varieties of pillow materials, and even though some are cheap and others are expensive, they all have a different way of maintaining them.
Before purchasing a pillow, ensure you get a pad that you will maintain. Rememberer, all pillows have their ways of washing and maintaining.
Let’s know how to make sure your pillows stay in good condition for the longest time.
- For your pillows to last long and stay in good condition, washing your buffer will do good. Washing them rids all unwanted bacteria and dust mites, leaving your pillow smelling fresh and lasting longer.
- Using a pillow cover – Pillow covers create a barrier between the cushion and pillow cover. That barrier will help protect your pillow and keep all unwanted bacteria away, making your pillow last for long.
- Replacing your pillow covers – Remember, pillow covers have many build-ups from face oils, sweats, and bacteria. All those bacteria can cause allergens, and it’s a risk to your health. Replacing your pillow covers with others and washing the dirty ones is excellent.
- Fluffing pillows – It’s always advisable to fluff your pillows every morning when you wake up. The pillow fillings will stay undamaged for long when you fluff your pads.
- Avoid putting your pillows in any moist places – Avoid placing your pads in damp areas, never sleep on them with wet air, and completely dry your pad before use.
Moist places cause mold and mildew to grow, and immediately they start growing, they will begin to spread, making your pillow smell bad.
Pillows are essential for getting a good night’s sleep, and pillows need good care and maintenance to last for long. The most important maintenance is to wash them and avoid storing your pillows in moist places.
This article will guide you on how to maintain your pillows, how you can recycle the old ones, and anything you would like to know concerning cushions.