It’s essential to always wash your pillow often after every 3 to 6 months. Without the proper care of cleaning, drying, and maintaining it, you will never have a good night’s sleep. Tiny things like dirt, oil, and dead skin can build up inside a pillow, which can cause bacteria that are very harmful to our health.
When you wash your pillow, you must also dry them to avoid clumpiness and odor. When you notice those signs, your pad is not perfectly dry.
If you touch your pillow and feel it’s dry, it might be damp inside even though you thinkit’ss dry, and to help them dry, you may add a few dry clothes inside your dryer to allow your pillow to dry completely. To avoid clumpiness in between the drying cycle, always fluff your pillow.
Let’sALSO: Are Pillows Safe for Babies?
Let’s get to know how to dry a pillow in all the methods you can.
1. Using a Machien Dryer
Not all types can be machine dried inside when drying your pillow in a machine dryer. Always read the care label before tossing them inside. You can machine dry the down or feather pillows.
- Placing your pillow inside the dryer- Immediately, they are well washed and cleaned. Squeeze the excess water from the pad and place them inside. Also, dont place too many for your pillows to dry well.
- Set your machine dryer- the next step is setting your dryer to low heat or no heat. The setting will prevent your pillow from breaking down, and high heat can cause clumping.
- Place tennis balls inside the drying cycle– The work of the tennis balls is to fluff the pillows up to avoid clumping. When the pads are in the process, putting a few clean tennis balls inside will prevent any lumpiness, and your pillow will be fluffing up when they are drying.
- Let your pillow dry for about one hour, they may take time because of the low heat setting, but the outcome will be good. After a few cycles, you can remove the pillow and fluff it again with your hands. That fluff will help to break out any clumpiness that might remain insiit’ss
- After the one-hour drying cycle, it’s time to get your pillow outside the dryer. At this point, you have to check if your pad is completely dry by smelling and squeezing it with your hands. If you come across yoit’ssllow as damp and has a bad smell, it’s not well dry, return to the dryer for a few minutes.
- The last step is to place the pillow outside the sun. The sun will help with any foul smell or dampness absorbed by the sunlight.
2. Drying Pdon’tt Without Using a Dryer
If you don’t have a machine dryer, you can sun your pillow.it’ss drying using the sun, make sure it’s a dry and sunny day.
- If you have washed your pillow well and cleaned it, the next step is to hang it on a clothesline, where the sun will hit each side of the pillow.
- Your pillow might take 3 to 4 hours to dry completely when sun drying. After every hour, make sure your pillow is well exposed to the sun for every corner to dry.
- Always give your pillow a good fluff after an hour. When your pillow is drying, the inside filling will start to hold on to each otdon’ttaking your pillow lumpy. If you don’t want that to happen to your pillow every hour, give your pillow a good shake and massage to avoid the lumit’sss.
- After a few hours, check if it’s well dry before taking it back.
3. Air Drying Your Pillows
Sometimes the weather might not be that favorable, and you also want your pillow to dry well. This air-drying method cccan’tk, too, even for the pillows you can’t put inside a dryer.
- Do not place memory foam or silk pillow inside a dryer because the motion of the machine dryer can tear the pillow apart and even damage the pillow entirely.
- What should you do when your pillow is well clean? You have to squeeze all the excess water and be gentle to avoid damaging your pillow.
- The next step is to place the pillow in a ventilated area, maybe on a clothesline or a flat, ventilated place.
- If the pillow is indoors, do not forget to place a clean wet towel under the pillow. After some hour, you flip your pillow. If the pillow is on the clothesline, always fluff it too.
- The air-drying method can take time, so you will need patience, make sure the places are well ventilated to avoid bacteria or mildew from growing inside. After the air-drying process, makes sure it is completely dry before using it again.
At this point, I believe you have clear idea of how to dry pillows. Writing from experience, drying your pillows doesn’t have to be a challenging activity.
If you wash and dry your pillows properly, you will have a good night’s sleep. When sleeping, never sleeps with wet hair to avoid mildew from growing inside. The above method of drying your pillow will be suitable because bacteria and mold will never have a place to grow.